Strawberry and Lemon Curd Tea Sandwich
A tea sandwich is a small prepared sandwich meant to be eaten at afternoon teatime to stave off hunger until the main meal. This Strawberry and Lemon Curd Tea Sandwich is a light, refreshing and cheerful sandwich to accompany a tall glass of iced tea. This sandwich is best consumed while the curd is still cold.
This tea sandwich is easy to assemble. No heat is required, unless of course you prefer to toast the sandwich bread first. Spread butter on the bread, followed by the lemon curd and lastly, arrange the chopped berries carefully before sandwiching the bread and you are good to go.
Recipe for Lemon Curd
Recipe credits: joyofbaking.com
3 large eggs
80 ml (1/3 cup) fresh lemon juice (2-3 lemons) (do not use the bottled lemon juice)
150 grams (3/4 cup) granulated white sugar
56 grams (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature and cut into small pieces
1 tablespoon lemon zest
Lemon Zest - The yellow outer rind of the lemon that contains the fruit's flavor and perfume.
- In a stainless steel bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water, whisk together the eggs, sugar, and lemon juice until blended.
- Cook, whisking constantly (to prevent it from curdling), until the mixture becomes pale in color and quite thick (like a hollandaise sauce or sour cream), and this will take about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and immediately pour through a fine strainer to remove any lumps.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and whisk into the mixture until the butter has melted.
- Add the lemon zest, cover, and let cool to room temperature before filling the pastry crust.
Lemon is my favourite fruit. I always have lemons on hand, as they are very versatile. The tangy juice and aromatic lemon zest complements nicely with both sweet and savoury recipes. As a beverage enhancer, I love a hint of lemon juice in iced water, tea and honey. This tea sandwich is made with leftover lemon curd from my Strawberry Lemon Curd Lemon Cake.
This recipe is also linked to:
Full Plate Thursday
Wild West Thursday