Cheesy Spinach Money Bags
I initially wanted to make use of all the wonton wrappers that I have after making homemade wantan noodles, so, since there are some spinach in the fridge, I made a pared down fillings of spanakopita, which mainly consisted of feta cheese and spinach. My moneybags doesn't even have proper tie-strings, I only used the spinach stems. These three moneybags in the photograph are the best as I sucked at frying and three-quarter of them are slightly too brown and burnt. The specks of chopped carrots I added in for colour didn't really show up in the end product, so its totally negligible.
Recipe for Cheesy Spinach Money Bags
adapted from epicurious.com
1 cup Spinach, chopped
Butter to saute the spinach
1/4 - 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
salt and pepper to taste
Oil for deep frying
- Saute garlic and spinach with butter. Set aside to cool.
- Mix cooled spinach with cream cheese.
- Wrap cheese and spinach mixture with wonton wrappers
- Heat oil for deep frying.
- Deep fry the wrapped money bags.
- Dish, drain and serve with chili sauce.
Wrap cheese and spinach mixture.
I am submitting this to Aspiring Bakers #19: Dim Sum Affair (May 2012) hosted by SSB of Small Small Baker.