Chili Sauce For Dippings
As far as I remember, this is how my mom makes chili sauce at home. Nothing fancy, with ingredients that are easy to find, this recipe is a keeper. The problem with family recipe is that, measurements are done in estimation, and that is quite hard to interpret. Ask my mom how much chili is needed, and she will think hard before answering, "RM2.00 worth of red chilies".
Basic Chili Sauce
20 red chilies
5 green bird eye chilies (more=spicier)
10 small lime, soak and clean the surface thoroughly
5 cloves garlic
1 inch of ginger
- Slice the chilies into halves and de-seed them
- Cut lime into halves and squeeze the lime juice, set aside.
- DO NOT discard the peel and pulp (the leftover, juiceless peel with the pulp still stuck inside).
- Put the lime peel into a saucepan, add enough water to cover everything, and let it boil.
- Discard the water and set the lime peel aside to let it cool thoroughly.
- In a blender, put in the chilies, lime juice, cooled lime peel, garlic and ginger.
- Add in water just enough to work the blender.
- Blend, with periodical stops, until everything is well blended and mixed.
- Add in salt and give it a few more pulse.