Chawanmushi, the familiar egg in a Japanese set meal. I've just learned to make them at home, and they are really easy. The hardest part would have to be steaming them in the right temperature for the silky smooth surface though, or they will turn wrinkly and ugly.
2 cups dashi soup stock
3/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp sake
1 chicken thigh
4 shiitake mushrooms
1 oz mitsuba (trefoil)
2 oz. kamaboko fish cakes
- Cut chicken into small cubes. Slice kamaboko and shiitake mushrooms thinly.
- Beat eggs in a bowl. Try not to bubble the eggs. Add dashi soup stock, soy sauce, salt, sake, and sugar in the bowl.
- Strain the egg mixture.
- Prepare four cups and put shiitake, chicken, and kamaboko in each cup.
- Pour the egg mixture into each cup and fill each cup to the third-forths.
- Place mitsuba on top of each cup.
- Cover the cups with lids or use aluminun foil or plastic wrap