These are unbaked tartlet shells. It does seem like there are a lot of steps, but it isn't as complicated as it sounds. I am trying to practice this fundamental tart shells, to be filled with delicious fillings and toppings later.
Sweet Pastry Crust
Recipe credits: joyofbaking.com
1 1/2 cups (210 grams) all purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated white sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Baking Temperature: 205C/400F
Baking Time: 20-25 minutes
- In a separate bowl, sift or whisk together the flour and salt. Set aside.
- Place the butter in mixer and beat until softened. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the beaten egg, beating just until incorporated.
- Don't over mix or the butter will separate and lighten in color.
- Add flour mixture all at once and mix just until it forms a ball. Don't overwork or pastry will be hard when baked.
- Flatten dough into disk, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for about 30 minutes or until firm.
- The resulting mixture is quite soft and breaks easily, so do handle with care. Dust some flour to prevent the dough mixture from sticking to the rolling pin.
- When the pastry is rolled to the desired size, lightly roll pastry around your rolling pin, dusting off any excess flour as you roll.
- Unroll onto top of tart pan. Gently lay in pan and with a small floured piece of pastry, lightly press pastry into bottom and up sides of pan. With a thumb up movement, again press dough into pan.
- Prick bottom of dough (this will prevent the dough from puffing up as it bakes).
- Cover and refrigerate for about 20 minutes to chill the butter and to rest the gluten in the flour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) and place rack in center of oven.
- Do remember to fill tart pan with pie weights, rice or beans, making sure the weights are to the top of the pan and evenly distributed over the entire surface.
- Bake the crust for 20 to 25 minutes or until the crust is dry and lightly golden brown.
- Remove weights and cool crust on wire rack before filling.